The University of Alabama offers some of the most generous scholarship opportunities in the state for qualifying Alabama students. Complete the steps below to maximize your scholarship and aid opportunities.
STEP 1: APPLY FOR ADMISSIONS & SCHOLARSHIPS
As a first-time freshman applicant, you must submit the following to be considered for admission:
- Application for admission
- Official high school transcript
- Optional submission of official ACT or SAT test score*
*The University of Alabama will not require standardized ACT or SAT scores from students applying through the Fall 2024 Semester. For more information, see UA’s Freshman Requirements page.
STEP 2: MAXIMIZE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
To maximize scholarship opportunities, students who wish to enroll in the summer and fall semester should submit an application and all supporting documents by the priority deadline on January 15, or spring semester should submit an application and all supporting documents by the priority deadline on November 1.
If you are enrolling in the summer or fall semester as a main campus student and meet the January 15 priority deadline, you will be considered for competitive scholarships offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions & Scholarships, the National Alumni Association, academic colleges and all departments across campus. All summer and fall semester admits who meet the January 15 deadline will be emailed instructions to complete Freshman Supplemental Scholarship Application.
If you are enrolling in the spring semester as a main campus student and meet the November 1 priority deadline, you will be considered for competitive scholarships offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions & Scholarships.
If you are awarded a UA Competitive Admissions Scholarship but also meet the criteria for one or more Automatic Merit Scholarships, you will receive the highest of the scholarship offers.
Please visit the Scholarships FAQ page for additional details about UA’s competitive and automatic scholarships.
2024 In-State UA Competitive Admissions Scholarship
All students who have submitted an application and all supporting documents by the listed deadline are evaluated holistically, based upon academic and non-academic information provided on their admission application. Academic components considered include high school GPA and academic honors. Non-academic items include leadership experience, volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, employment and non-academic honors.
This scholarship has a value of $3,000 up to tuition.
- Spring 2024: Students should submit an application and all supporting documents by November 1
- Summer/Fall 2024: Students should submit an application and all supporting documents by January 15
- 1st Round: mid-December for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by October 15
- 2nd Round: early February for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by November 30
- 3rd Round: early March for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by January 15
*The listed notifications are for Summer and Fall Semester 2024 admits only. Because several factors go into a student’s competitive award, it will not be uncommon for students admitted by an earlier date to receive a later notification. If you do not receive notification for an early round, your scholarship application will roll to the third round for further review. All Spring Semester 2024 notifications will be released in mid-December.
2024 In-State Freshman Automatic Merit Scholarships
|Scholarship||Test Score*||GPA||Yearly Value|
|Presidential||30-36 ACT or 1360-1600 SAT||3.50+||Tuition|
|Foundation in Excellence||29 ACT or 1330-1350 SAT||3.50+||$9,000|
|Foundation in Excellence||30-36 ACT or 1360-1600 SAT||3.00-3.49||$9,000|
|Collegiate||28 ACT or 1300-1320 SAT||3.50+||$8,000|
|Collegiate||29 ACT or 1330-1350 SAT||3.00-3.49||$8,000|
|Capstone||27 ACT or 1260-1290 SAT||3.50+||$7,000|
|Capstone||28 ACT or 1300-1320 SAT||3.00-3.49||$7,000|
|UA Legends||26 ACT or 1230-1250 SAT||3.50+||$6,000|
|UA Legends||27 ACT or 1260-1290 SAT||3.00-3.49||$6,000|
|Crimson Achievement||25 ACT or 1200-1220 SAT||3.50+||$5,000|
|Crimson Achievement||26 ACT or 1230-1250 SAT||3.00-3.49||$5,000|
|UA Recognition||24 ACT or 1160-1190 SAT||3.50+||$4,000|
|UA Recognition||25 ACT or 1200-1220 SAT||3.00-3.49||$4,000|
A student with a 4.0+ GPA and 36 ACT OR 1600 SAT will be selected as a Presidential Elite Scholar and will receive:
- Value of tuition for up to four years or eight semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
- First year of on-campus housing at regular room rate (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
- $1,000 per year supplemental scholarship for four years
- $2,000 one-time allowance for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
- $500 per year Supe Store book scholarship for four years
- Spring 2024: UA will accept test scores through December 15 of a student’s senior year and transcripts through May of a student’s junior year. Admitted students who meet the December 15 application date will be considered for automatic merit scholarships.
- Summer/Fall 2024: UA will accept test scores and transcripts through December of a student’s senior year. Admitted students who meet the May 1 application date will be considered for automatic merit scholarships.
Qualifying admitted students will automatically receive one of these scholarships. Notifications are sent approximately 2 weeks following admission.
STEP 3: COMPLETE YOUR FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA, OPTIONAL)
The Student Financial Aid staff is dedicated to making the federal aid process as straightforward as possible. Financial assistance available through this office includes federal aid – grants, loans, work study and information about student employment. Please visit The University of Alabama Student Financial Aid website for more information.