All first-time freshmen who meet the January 15 priority deadline will be considered for the UA Competitive Achievement Scholarship, a new competitive scholarship to recognize the demonstrated achievements of future legends who will continue the UA tradition of excellence.
Effective October 19, 2023, the National Recognition Scholarship has been discontinued. The University of Alabama will honor the award value for any student who qualified for the National Recognition Scholarship and received an admitted admission decision on or before October 19.
National Recognition Scholars who submit an application and all supporting documents by the January 15 priority deadline will be eligible for competitive awards up to tuition and the new UA Competitive Achievement Scholarship. Details on the new scholarship are below. Please visit the National Recognition FAQ webpage for more information.
- Summer and Fall Semester 2024 applicants should submit an application and all supporting documents by the priority deadline of January 15.
- Students will be evaluated holistically, based on academic and non-academic information provided on their admission application. Academic components considered will include high school GPA and academic honors. Non-academic items will include leadership experience, volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, employment and non-academic honors.
- Students with demonstrated academic excellence, especially those who receive national distinction in their intended professional or academic area while in high school, will receive consideration.
- Value of tuition for up to four years or eight semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies.
- $1,000 per year supplemental scholarship for four years (or eight semesters).
- First year of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities).
* Regular room rate is defined as the largest room option in a particular dorm. Example: Riverside, Lakeside and Ridgecrest have four-person suites. The cost associated with the four-person suite would be the value of the housing scholarship in this circumstance. If you live in an alternative dorm where double room occupancy is the largest available option, then the cost associated with the double room would be the value of the housing scholarship.
Students will be considered following the Competitive Admissions timeline:
- 1st Round: mid-December for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by October 15.
- 2nd Round: early February for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by November 30.
- 3rd Round: early March for students who applied and submitted all supporting documents by January 15.
* The listed notifications are for Summer and Fall Semester 2024 admits only. Because several factors go into a student’s competitive award, it will not be uncommon for students admitted by an earlier date to receive a later notification. If you do not receive notification for an early round, your scholarship application will roll to the third round for further review. All Spring Semester 2024 notifications will be released in mid-December.