National Merit Finalist Package
First-time freshmen who are recognized as National Merit Finalists by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation are strongly encouraged to submit all application materials by the January 15 priority deadline to ensure consideration. If eligible students submit an application and all supporting documents after January 15 or by May 1, they will receive consideration for admission on a space available basis.
Students must provide a copy of their official National Merit Finalist letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and list The University of Alabama as their college of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation before May 1, 2024.
If admitted, students who are eligible for the National Merit Finalist package will receive:
- Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
- Four years of undergraduate on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
- $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship for four years**
- $2,000 one-time allowance for use in research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
- $500 per year Supe Store book scholarship for four years
National Merit Semifinalist Scholarship
Admitted National Merit Semifinalist are automatically eligible for the Presidential Scholarship.
To be considered for the National Merit Scholarship at UA, students must be recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation is a third-party organization that recognizes and honors the academically talented students of the United States. To review the eligibility requirements of this program, please visit the National Merit Scholarship Corporation website.
* Regular room rate is defined as the largest room option in a particular dorm. Example: Riverside, Lakeside and Ridgecrest have four-person suites. The cost associated with the four-person suite would be the value of the housing scholarship in this circumstance. If you live in an alternative dorm where double room occupancy is the largest available option, then the cost associated with the double room would be the value of the housing scholarship.
** The portion of your supplemental scholarship paid by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation will be applied to your student account within the first six weeks of each semester.